Click here for a PDF.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln | GPA: 3.815
Majors: Journalism, Spanish | Minor: Religious Studies
Study Abroad: ISA Summer 2015 – Cusco, Peru
Expected Graduation Date: May 2017
Iris Telehealth (February 2016 – present) | Marketing Intern
- Telepsychiatry company based in Virginia
- Graphic design
- Social media management for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Event planning
- PR strategizing
The (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald (June 2016 – August 2016) | Editorial Intern
- Cook County reporter
- Public affairs reporting
- Attended city council meetings and board of education meetings
- Wrote a 60-inch story about the Eastland Distaster
Lincoln Journal Star (January 2016 – present) | Reporting Intern
- Weekend reporting
- General assignment and cops beat
- Event coverage
- Wrote news, feature stories and profiles
- Live-tweeted and wrote about breaking news
USA Today College (August 2015 – December 2015) | Multimedia Correspondent
- Website bringing news to millennials
- Pitched two and produced at least one multimedia story per week
- Produced 15 multimedia stories, including one about the 14th anniversary of 9/11 that ended up on the home page of USATODAY.com
- My work can be viewed at http://www.college.usatoday.com/author/vanessadaves
Omaha World-Herald (January 2015 – May 2015)| Fellow
- Worked part-time on the metro desk
- Wrote from Lincoln and Omaha
- Covered breaking news, local events, policy changes in the courts, campus events and other news stories.
- Wrote and contributed to more than 20 stories, some of which were multi-platform pieces.
- Covered the gay marriage hearing in Nebraska and contributed to the final, front-page story
St. Joseph News-Press (June 2014 – July 2014)| Reporting Intern
- Worked 40 hours/week for eight weeks on the city desk
- Covered local events, breaking news, courts and human interest stories
- Wrote a series of stories about the lack of funds for community pools
- Wrote the cover story for Josephine magazine
Daily Nebraskan (August 2013 – December 2014, June 2015 – December 2015)
- Written more than 200 stories for this student publication since 2013.
- Covered the Nebraska football season in 2015 and produced three to five articles each week about the team
- Covered gymnastics, cross country and tennis
- Wrote for News and Arts & Entertainment sections
Kappa Delta Sorority (2013 – present)
- Initiated member since October 2013.
- Currently serve at Vice President-Membership, including duties of retention, recruitment and sisterhood.
- Formerly served as Historian, Vice President-Public Relations and as a member of various committees.
Mortar Board (February 2016 – present)
- Honors society which accepts students based on scholarship, leadership, and service.
- Serve on selections committee.
Dance Marathon (2013 – present)
- Participate in annual event to raise money for Children’s Hospital in Omaha, Nebraska
- Currently on the Recruitment Committee
- Served as a family representative for two consecutive years
- Personally fundraised nearly $2000 for this cause in the past three years
Order of Omega (September 2015 – present)
- Initiated member of this Greek honors society since October 2015
University Ambassadors (Fall 2013 – present)
- Recruit students to UNL
- Formerly served as Public Relations Chair, managing social media and hosting PR events
Relay for Life (2014 – present)
- Participate as fundraiser and walker.
- Attend weekly services and Bible studies.
Honors & Awards
University of Nebraska-Lincoln: Ruth Leverton Scholarship, H&L Gerdes Scholarship, Colonel M. Thompson Scholarship, Michelle Walenz Fund; Dean’s list (Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Spring 2015); member of the Nebraska Homecoming Court (Fall 2016)
Omaha Press Club: John F. Davis Scholarship
The Society of Cincinnati: E R Warner McCabe Scholarship (2013-2017)
Daily Nebraskan: A&E Freshman of the Semester Award (Fall 2013), Second Place Sports Profile of the Semester (Fall 2013), First Place Sports Feature of the Semester (Spring 2014)
Nebraska Press Assocation: First Place in the Collegiate Writing Competition
Kappa Delta Sorority: Corre Award Winner (highest honor a collegian can receive, selected based on academic performance and exemplary leadership)